Thursday, April 30, 2009

I was nervous when picked over McGrath: Nannes

After playing an instrumental role in Delhi Daredevils six-wicket win over Deccan Chargers, Dirk Nannes said he was delighted with his performance and thanked his team management for backing him even when he was not doing well. The Australian bowler claimed the wickets of Adam Gilchrist and Herschelle Gibbs and finished with figures of 4-0-16-2.

On getting early wickets: I think it was great, just the start we needed in the match. I am delighted to contribute to the team’s success. I am enjoying my bowling and the Indian Premier League has been going well for me till now.

On condition of the pitch: It was great. I got the ball moving and was enjoying every moment of it. I didn’t do too well in the last match but the guys backed me and it is good to live up to the expectations of the team.

On calling himself the reluctant cricketer: To be honest I never wanted to play professional cricket. Hence, I said that I was a reluctant cricketer. But now it is the number one sport for me. I am not someone who has come into first class cricket through school level or university level.

On IPL in South Africa: It is fantastic to be here and perform in front of the crowds. I also feel pressure because I know that millions will be watching me perform here in South Africa. The Indian Premier League is a fantastic concept and I love being a part of it.

On keeping Glenn McGrath out of playing XI: I was very nervous when I was fielded in the first match. I knew there would be lot of expectations from me and I would have to perform outstandingly. May be one day, I will tell me grandchildren that I was responsible for keeping out the greatest fast bowler of all times of a playing XI.

On plans against Gibbs: We have plans, but nothing specifically for Gibbs. Today I got better of him, maybe some other day he will hit me. I tried to stick to my basics and thankfully he got out.

On skiing and cricket: It is a tough one. Skiing is an individual sport and cricket is a team sport. Since, I have started cricket a bit late, my body still feels young for the game. It is very hard for me to draw comparisons between the two sports but I enjoy both of them. It’s a great feeling to be a part of a team.

On his chances to make it into the Australia T20 squad: I don’t think I can make it since they have already announced the probables. So, may be next time. I will try to impress everyone and let’s see how the things pan out!